Weberlife Instafeed

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Story book ending--prepare to be offended in some way



Yesterday was the end of what I can only describe as
4 months of mental agony and non stop stress.
It was the perfect end to this story. Since the beginning
everything has been so stressful, on edge and
uncertain. If it is not one thing it is another--contractors,
insolvent lenders, timelines new guidelines, bad moods of
underwriters, incompetent brokers, failing banks: you name it,
we've slogged through it and it has been intense.

I was beginning to wonder if we were indeed supposed to give it up and buy
a McMansion in Draper and live happily ever after and resign to a life of Diet Coke sippin', 5.5 kids rearin', SUV driving neighbors(no offense--to most, this is what is considered the "good life") I have tried living in the burbs and found it isolating and mind numbing--I just don't fit in--THE END

Call me selfish, call me stubborn, call me narrow minded but I have found where
I think I belong and I was devastated that I might not be able to buy the ONLY
home that I have liked that has more than one bedroom(believe me we have looked
for over a year)

Yesterday our lender called to tell me we would have an answer by no later than
noon--so I prepared for the best and the worst and by 4 pm still didn't have an answer.
Since we have lived here whenever I get down, have a big decision to make or
just need company I head down to Carlucci's--our neighborhood bakery/eatery/coffee
joint--So there I just sat, and waited, and read and took in the surroundings, the people, the rain and how much I wanted to stay. Then, almost on cue, my phone rang--it was the broker telling us that we could close Friday at 5---I hung up, breathed deep and closed my eyes: Finally an end, and a good one.

In hindsight on the days when I want to give it up and move to Draper(or Sandy) this
process and the long hard battle will serve to remind me that this is what I
wanted--more than almost anything!

PS Moving Party on Saturday--unless of course all of my WONDERFUL friends and family
from the burbs have finally disowned me--Can't we agree to disagree that I hate your cities but I love you? C'mon! :)

2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm glad you are finally getting your happy ending! Well, maybe a happy new beginning?
I know what you mean about living in the burbs. Now that we're living in the city (and quite a big one) I can't imagine moving back to the burbs.

Tennant Family said...

Well, I am not the LEAST bit offended. I am SO excited for you that you are finally going to have your dream home! I wish I could help with the move but I'm not allowed that much physical activity right now (which should make my own move in a couple weeks VERY interesting!)

I loved it when we lived downtown. We only got in our cars to get groceries or to drive to my mom's to do laundry. Everywhere else, we walked!

If it wasn't for my need to let the kids walk around the block on their own or down the street to play with friends without me taking them, we'd probably still be downtown. So anyone who thinks you're weird for choosing urban over sub-urban should just get over it!